"Rick, Given you interest in parrallax images, I thought the attached image might be of interest. It was done under the direction of one of my professors at MIT. The assignement was to analyze and urban space (in this case Kenmore Square in Boston) by moving through it and using the variations of tone/overlap/gradient as a way to understand and investigate the urban edges. Chris"
Chris's image:

"Chris, Thank you for sharing. It is a very active image and I am quite interested in it. One of the first things that I find my eyes looking for is where the edges and defined boundaries are. They exist within the image but are somewhat hidden in all the "activity" of the overlaps and gradients.
I am really enjoying where this analysis is leading me. I have been making sketches and notes in my notebook today while at the office. In particular I wonder how parallax scrolling from video game design could effect a built space. At the risk of jumping ahead for our intensive, I have already played with this idea and the interaction in a retail space. How do the program elements of an Apple store interact with the consumer? If the goal or path is to buy that piece of new pop culture and technology, what happens if you metaphorically and perhaps physically juxtapose an old video game mechanic (parallax scrolling) with this retail experience?
I will try to get a second set of drawings done before I leave for Boston. I may simply post the sketches from my notebook.
~Rick"
Notebook sketches:


"Rick, If you have time, post that image, and our ensuing dialog on your blog. What interests me the most about this approach (and of the parallax scrolling) is that there is always some "space" outside the cone-of-vision. That space is never constructed in the video game (to save space/memory, etc.) and in Big Brother some of that space is also left off (see Anne's Assignment 1 post), but when you ultimately present your proposal for an apple store, it will be a building proposal, which will mean that it needs to be "complete" (i.e. the space outside the cone-of-vision needs to be there). What could be interesting is to see how that might be a natural break in the building language? Your initial thoughts re: Apple - Video Game, are interesting, ... the one thing I would caution you on is what actually is the "goal or path". I am not sure if it is, as you note, to sell that new piece of pop culture. See my comment on Carli's blog (under "Shopper to Consumer". The goal of the retail store does not necessarily need to be to "sell". Chris"
2 comments:
OK.... Posted our emails up on my blog. I'll see if I can get my sketches onto the scanner at work this evening and post them also. I read/re-read through Anne's and Carli's posts. I was interested in Anne's post before I developed those ideas and going back and re-reading her post informs the ideas I have been working wirh.
Nice sketches. When you start to set up a series of planes which need to be navigated through (either visually or phyiscally or both) a few questions arise ... what are the distances between each frame? what occurs between each frame? how thick are the frames? etc.
Post a Comment