1.10.2007

studio:02

diagrams from studio:01







plan + section A





Not sure where this is going yet... but I find it an interesting idea that planes along the bottom of the plan and the left side of the section could be in motion (moveable) effecting the middle plane and creating the far plane beyond and varying perspectives.



plan + section B



These two sketches are meant to be an exploration of the space that "occurs" within the one dimensional plane of the mirror. The space in the mirror gives us clues as to what the rest of the room outside of the screen shot/point of view can show us.

5 comments:

Peter James DeIuliis said...

I'm not quite sure where it is going either, but I have a theory...I had a sketch problem like this once where we had to start by generating an exterior perspective and explain our reasoning, we then worked backwards to interior perspectives and eventually plans, sections, and elevations....this kind of reminds me of that project.... but with a twist.... it almost seems as though Chris is trying to get us to think about "the perspective" and its purpose in communicating space 3-dimensionally.... working backwards really gives you a different perspective on how we communicate our ideas, and whether or not it is the best way...

This runs parallel with an argument I recently heard that BIM will change the nature of our deliverables.... 3-dimensional sections and perspectives will start to find their way into drawing sets because of their ability to convey intent so much more clearly.....

Anne McQuown said...

It seems like working backwards, but I don't think it is. Aside from making sure the building fits on the site, the very first step our office produces is a perspective sketch to make sure the client and we are on the same page.

rbutera said...

I would agree with both of you here. The part I am not sure of is what I am getting from these two paticular drawings. I have some ideas about spatial sequence and experiencing a 3D space as it might relate to parallax scrolling and parallax perspectives, as Chris suggested in researching...

Ellie said...

The plan and section are quite interesting. They suggest an interesting way of adding depth (and perhaps "poche") to the space.

rbutera said...

Well, I think things are progessing well here. I added the skecthes from my notebook that are a follow up to the first pan and section and an email conversation I had with Chris. That too is posted. Thanks for the feed back Anne and Peter.

~R